Technology Policy Manager
The National Taxpayers Union Foundation (NTUF) is seeking an energetic individual to expand our engagement on technology policy issues of importance to taxpayers. Through research, analysis, popular writing, coalition building, and other forms of public education, this role will be tasked with strengthening NTUF’s reputation in this important policy space. The ideal candidate will combine an understanding of key technology policy issues with a demonstrated history of successfully communicating about and building relationships to advance smart policy. This position is based in Washington, DC but the new hire will be permitted to work remotely until COVID-19 has abated.
- Policy research and analysis - Perform original research and policy analysis on a range of important issues, including but not limited to competition and antitrust, taxation of digital services, platform liability, regulation of emerging technologies, and much more
- Writing - Produce written work on important policy matters, in shorter form such as op-eds or blog posts and in longer form such as issue briefs, legislative testimony, and regulatory comments
- Building coalitions - Create and manage successful coalitions to advance smart technology policy at the federal and state level
- Occasional travel (5%) for events and conferences
- Five to seven years of experience working on public policy matters at a policy organization, on a lawmaker’s staff, at a regulatory agency, or comparable work
- Deep knowledge of technology policy issues
- Solid writing and communication skills to translate thoughts into impactful policy work
- Demonstrated history of building coalitions to advance smart policy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capable of engaging with the media, in public meetings, and communicating externally
- Ability to work independently and without micromanagement
- While experience and demonstrated results are more important than credentials, a bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred and an advanced degree in a relevant field such as policy or economics would be a plus for any candidate
- Energy, vigor, and passion for NTUF’s mission
Compensation and Benefits:
- NTUF strives to offer compensation that is competitive with peer organizations, along with a highly-flexible work environment. Like the rest of NTUF’s staff, this role is approved for remote work until a safe return to in-office work is possible, at which point it will be based in our Washington, DC office.
- NTUF offers medical, dental, and life insurance coverage along with ample vacation and sick leave.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing the reasons why you are a strong candidate for this position, your interest in NTUF’s mission, and salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
Policy and Government Affairs Associate
The National Taxpayers Union is seeking a Policy and Government Affairs Associate to assist with federal policy analysis and outreach. Though this individual may work on a variety of subjects, the primary issue areas will be telecommunications, technology, and regulatory barriers that restrict innovation. Job duties will include analyzing federal policy; writing letters, op-eds, and issue briefs; and meeting with legislators, taxpayer groups, and other organizations to advocate on behalf of taxpayers. Limited work on state and local policy in the above areas is also possible.
The ideal candidate will have one to three years of relevant experience. The following skills and qualities are necessary to be successful in this position:
- Motivated and independent
- A creative thinker
- Passionate about advocating for lower taxes, less spending, and free markets
- Strong verbal and written communications skills to be able to effectively convey NTU’s message
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel as necessary
Founded in 1969, National Taxpayers Union proudly serves as the “Voice of America’s Taxpayers,” fighting to ensure that all Americans are able to pursue their dreams without the heavy hand of government holding them back. NTU is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, nonpartisan citizen group whose supporters work every day for lower taxes and smaller government at all levels.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, three writing samples (minimum of 500 words each), and at least two professional references to Sylvia Carranza (firstname.lastname@example.org). While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
NTU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
To apply, please send a resume in Word or PDF format along with two writing samples and a cover letter to Sylvia Carranza at email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NTU and NTUF are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Both National Taxpayers Union (NTU) and National Taxpayers Union Foundation (NTUF) offer competitive internship programs for college students and recent graduates to learn more about government processes, free-market principles, public policy, the benefits of limited government, and nonprofit operations. Interns receive hands-on experience working to help advance tax reform, decrease public spending, inform the general public about the effects of government spending, and hold officials accountable.
To apply for an internship, please send a resume in Word or PDF format along with two writing samples and a cover letter to Sylvia Carranza at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NTU and NTUF are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Internship Application Process
Internships are granted on a rolling basis and may take place during any time of the year. Internships are generally unpaid, though participants may receive academic credit. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples with the subject line "NTU/NTUF Internship Program" to email@example.com.
Internship opportunities exist in the following areas:
Assist the Communications department in responding to media inquiries and research requests; conduct media outreach; identify placement opportunities in print, broadcast, and online media; track media coverage; write for NTU and NTUF newsletters; and edit numerous written materials such as press releases, letters to the editor, and policy papers. Candidates will possess a basic knowledge of and interest in the media, strong communication and writing skills, and a positive attitude. New Media knowledge and video/audio production are pluses.
Assist NTU's Government Affairs department in lobbying on federal and state issues; conduct policy research and analysis; assist in grassroots taxpayer education efforts; formulate reports and opinion editorials; and attend or participate in policy seminars, hearings, coalition meetings, and briefings. Candidates will possess an interest in public policy (specifically budget, tax, and regulatory issues) and strong research, communication, and writing skills. Interns will leave with a better understanding of how government really works, valuable experience, and professional writing samples.
Assist Development department in expanding and maintaining NTU's and NTUF's fundraising programs; conduct research on potential donors; sustain relationships with current supporters through correspondence; assist with NTU’s direct mail program; and maintain NTU and NTUF's extensive database of members. Candidates will possess strong research and communication skills, attention to detail, and a commitment to free-market principles.
Policy & Research:
Assist with Foundation research and outreach activities related to budget issues & tax reform. Responsibilities include tracking the policy proposals of lawmakers and candidates as well as legislative tracking and research. Other tasks may include communications duties such as assisting with social media efforts, producing website content, and tracking NTUF's appearances in the media. Candidates will possess basic quantitative skills, attention to detail, an interest in public policy issues (specifically budget, tax, and regulatory issues) and strong research, communication, and writing skills.
Produce clear, coherent online products to illustrate NTU and NTUF’s products, utilize online tools, programs, and platforms to engage and educate our audience, and supplement content by other departments with sharp graphics and web pages. Candidates should be familiar with a number of social media platforms, and should possess some knowledge of graphical editing software, either online or offline. Skills related to Imgur, Reddit, LinkedIn, and email marketing platforms are encouraged. Basic HTML and CSS experience is preferred. Extensive training in proprietary products will be provided.