National Taxpayers Union Foundation is seeking a motivated, passionate individual to join our newly launched Taxpayer Defense Center (TDC) as a Paralegal. The TDC protects taxpayers’ rights and limits government overreach, through strategic litigation against unconstitutional burdens on interstate commerce, administrative abuses against taxpayers, and retroactive and discriminatory taxes.
Supervised by our lead attorney, the Paralegal will review potential cases for litigation or amicus brief involvement; develop legal arguments, motions, and other case filings; research and help author and edit reports on current legal issues within the TDC’s scope; and manage the case file for ongoing cases. Your contribution and input will be valued. The new hire will be permitted to work remotely until COVID-19 has abated, with the potential to extend a remote work arrangement for the right candidate. However, such an extension is not guaranteed.
The following skills and qualities are necessary to be successful in this position:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Prior experience with litigation is a plus
- Motivated and independent
About National Taxpayers Union Foundation:
National Taxpayers Union Foundation is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1978 as the research and educational arm of our 501(c)(4) affiliate National Taxpayers Union. NTUF’s mission is to show Americans how taxes, government spending, and regulations affect them. In order to educate our target audiences, we perform incisive research and analysis on a wide range of policy issues with a particular focus on tax, technology, interstate commerce, legislative scoring, and trade.
- Highly-flexible work environment. Like the rest of NTUF’s staff, this role is approved for remote work until a safe return to in-office work is possible. Although we envision that this position will be based in our Washington, DC office, consideration will be given to the right candidate for continuing the remote work option.
- NTUF offers medical, dental, and life insurance coverage along with ample vacation and sick leave.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter in one PDF document to Joe Bishop-Henchman at email@example.com. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
NTU and NTUF are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
External Affairs Associate/External Affairs Manager
The National Taxpayers Union is seeking an External Affairs Associate/Manager to join our team. If you are interested in helping a pro-taxpayer advocacy group grow and be more effective, now's your chance!
This role is key to building the organizational infrastructure necessary for further expansion. It is a great opportunity for a candidate to grow and learn in a dynamic and varied environment. The successful candidate will have full ownership over a number of processes and can look forward to professional development throughout the year. The position is ideal for someone at entry level or seeking a new career path.
The job will have four main functions:
1) Be an organizer! This means gathering, entering, and interpreting data about the people who participate in our organization.
- We use Salesforce for our membership database and DonorSearch for wealth research.
- Managing our mail caging and gift acknowledgement process, including handling contributions, recording donations, creating deposits, and instituting a welcome process for new donors.
- Overseeing aspects of our direct mail operation, such as list exchanges, and cultivation mailings.
2) Be an ambassador! This means growing and strengthening relationships with those who support our work.
- Initial outreach to foundation, business, and individual partners and prospects.
- Researching and writing briefings for other team members on individual, foundation, and business support prospects.
- Assisting leadership team with planning and execution of major donor cultivation efforts.
3) Be a communicator! Helping to draft written materials that tell our success stories as well as our challenges to those who do, and might, agree with our mission.
4) Be a motivator! This means helping two other members of the External Affairs team, along with one member of the executive team, stay on-task and on-track as they cultivate future successes for NTU.
Both National Taxpayers Union (NTU) and National Taxpayers Union Foundation (NTUF) offer competitive internship programs for college students and recent graduates to learn more about government processes, free-market principles, public policy, the benefits of limited government, and nonprofit operations. Interns receive hands-on experience working to help advance tax reform, decrease public spending, inform the general public about the effects of government spending, and hold officials accountable.
To apply for an internship, please send a resume in Word or PDF format along with two writing samples and a cover letter to Sylvia Carranza at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NTU and NTUF are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Internship Application Process
Internships are granted on a rolling basis and may take place during any time of the year. Internships are generally unpaid, though participants may receive academic credit. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples with the subject line "NTU/NTUF Internship Program" to email@example.com.
Internship opportunities exist in the following areas:
SUMMER 2021: FULL Communications Department:
Assist the Communications department in responding to media inquiries and research requests; conduct media outreach; identify placement opportunities in print, broadcast, and online media; track media coverage; write for NTU and NTUF newsletters; and edit numerous written materials such as press releases, letters to the editor, and policy papers. Candidates will possess a basic knowledge of and interest in the media, strong communication and writing skills, and a positive attitude. New Media knowledge and video/audio production are pluses.
SUMMER 2021: FULL Government Affairs:
Assist NTU's Government Affairs department in lobbying on federal and state issues; conduct policy research and analysis; assist in grassroots taxpayer education efforts; formulate reports and opinion editorials; and attend or participate in policy seminars, hearings, coalition meetings, and briefings. Candidates will possess an interest in public policy (specifically budget, tax, and regulatory issues) and strong research, communication, and writing skills. Interns will leave with a better understanding of how government really works, valuable experience, and professional writing samples.
Policy & Research:
Assist with Foundation research and outreach activities related to budget issues & tax reform. Responsibilities include tracking the policy proposals of lawmakers and candidates as well as legislative tracking and research. Other tasks may include communications duties such as assisting with social media efforts, producing website content, and tracking NTUF's appearances in the media. Candidates will possess basic quantitative skills, attention to detail, an interest in public policy issues (specifically budget, tax, and regulatory issues) and strong research, communication, and writing skills.
Produce clear, coherent online products to illustrate NTU and NTUF’s products, utilize online tools, programs, and platforms to engage and educate our audience, and supplement content by other departments with sharp graphics and web pages. Candidates should be familiar with a number of social media platforms, and should possess some knowledge of graphical editing software, either online or offline. Skills related to Imgur, Reddit, LinkedIn, and email marketing platforms are encouraged. Basic HTML and CSS experience is preferred. Extensive training in proprietary products will be provided.